The Beginning is the first story in Volume 1 - as well as the full debut of The Adventures of Billy Butterbread; it serves as an introduction to the series' central characters - William "Billy" Butterbread III, Jean Phelps, Ryan Thompson, PC Janet Worthing and Mister Snoutnose, as well as Dee Livery; a recurring supporting character - following the readers' introduction to Cheston Village beforehand.
It also introduces the series' major antagonist - "The Editor" - debuting in an unseen cameo role.
Meet Billy Butterbread:
An amateur detective living and working in Cheston Village, specialising his cases around Food & Beverage - filling up the rest of his time as a food-critic for The Loudmouth Times.
But when Billy loses his job, and his greedy landlord - Mister Snoutnose - gives him one week to cough up an overwhelming sum of rent money, it's a race against time for Billy to win the day with help from friends old and new - as a vast conspiracy is about to be unravelled....
TO BE WRITTEN.
- Chapter One: The Expert
- Chapter Two: "Whatever Next?"
- Chapter Three: New Friends For Billy
- Chapter Four: "Don't Turn Down a Drink Once You're Offered One"
- Chapter Five: Fitting the Bills
- Chapter Six: When Billy Met Jean
- Chapter Seven: Billy's Food-Sense is Tingling
- Chapter Eight: The Job Offer
- Chapter Nine: The Londoners' Day Out
- Chapter Ten: 'FoodChat!'
- Chapter Eleven: Case in Point
- Chapter Twelve: Keys to Salvation
- Chapter Thirteen: The Plan
- Chapter Fourteen: Billy Saves the Day
- Chapter Fifteen: The Adventure Begins
- William "Billy" Butterbread III
- Jean Phelps
- Ryan Thompson
- Mister Snoutnose
- PC Janet Worthing
- Ed Case
- Martin Matthews
- Charlie Johnson
- Dee Livery
- Keith Bennett
- Mister Slackworth
- "The Editor" (cameo; unseen)
- As of July 2018, this is the only story not to feature hand-drawn pictures for any chapter.
- This story is the longest to-date - having Fifteen Chapters in total - as well as being distributed over the longest course out of any story (six weeks in total).